24 September 2015 - 16:36
News Code 81771943
0 Persons
Number of victims of Mena incident exceeds 800

Tehran, Sept 24, IRNA – Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization announced that according to the latest Saudi statistics the number of the victims of Hajj stampede in Mena has risen to over 800 and more than 1,000 pilgrims have been injured so far.

43 Iranians are among 453 people killed in a stampede during Mecca Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.

Head of the Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization Saeed Ohadi said on Thursday that the injured are in an acute condition.

Ohadi said the routes leading to the point for stoning are still blocked, making it difficult for the relief aid workers to rush aid to the victims.

He said that bodies of a large number of the victims are still on the ground and the relief aid workers are in efforts to collect and transfer them. 'The precise number of those killed or injured will be announced in the next hours,' he added.

Ohadi said the bitter incident is caused by failure of the Saudi security organs to manage the rituals.

He added that the Saudi officials had blocked two ways leading to the stoning point, thus causing the large crowd of the pilgrims.

2222**2050