2 August 2019 - 01:11
Journalist ID: 2377
News Code 83421311
0 Persons
Sanctioning Zarif sign of US gov't desperation

Tehran, Aug 2, IRNA – Iran's Foreign Ministry in a statement on Thursday condemned the US move to impose sanctions on Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, saying that the action indicates the US government's desperation.

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran condemns the US administration’s move to impose sanction on Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, director of Iran’s diplomacy, and sees the measure as a clear sign of the US administration’s frustration," the statement reads.

It noted that the new US sanction reveals its administration’s fear and weakness vis-à-vis the Islamic Republic of Iran's smart diplomacy which is based on logic.

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs emphasizes that the recent sanction on the Minister of Foreign Affairs will have no impact on the efforts and activities of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or by the Minister of Foreign Affairs himself, as the person in charge of the country’s foreign policy, to prove the rightfulness of the Iranian nation, protect the national interests, and fight against the US administration’s economic terrorism, and the Foreign Minister will carry on with his mission and responsibility with maximum power and faith," it added.

The US Department of the Treasury on Wednesday imposed sanctions against Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.

Zarif, who has been Iran’s foreign minister since 2013, was the chief negotiator in the multinational nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

The Trump administration said last month it was planning to impose sanctions against Zarif.

Zarif told the New York Times earlier this month that little was at stake for him even if he were sanctioned. “I personally do not even have a bank account outside Iran,” he said.

In reaction to the sanctions, Iran's Foreign Minister Zarif wrote on his Twitter account on Thursday after being sanctioned by the US that "dialog and peace" are "existential threats" to the B-team and the Americans never need a permission from the US Treasury to "engage" with him.

Zarif had earlier said that the B-Team consists of US National Security Advisor John Bolton, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and the Saudi and the Emirati crown princes, respectively, Mohammad bin Salman and Mohammed bin Zayed.

8072**2050

Follow us on Twitter @IrnaEnglish

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
1 + 12 =