Oct 31, 2018, 10:50 PM
News Code: 83085005
0 Persons
Khashoggi was strangled, then dismembered: Turkish prosecutor

Tehran, Oct 31, IRNA – Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi was strangled as soon as he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and then dismembered as part of a premeditated plan, Turkey's chief prosecutor said on Wednesday, making details of the murder public for the first time.

The revelations came just hours after Saudi Arabia's chief prosecutor left Istanbul, and the Turkish prosecutor's office said it was 'obliged' to reveal the details after the talks produced 'no concrete results'.

Gruesome reports in the Turkish media had previously alleged that Khashoggi, a 59-year-old Washington Post contributor critical of the powerful Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, had been killed and cut into pieces by a team sent from Riyadh to silence him. His body has not been found, Al-Jazeera reported.

'In accordance with plans made in advance, the victim, Jamal Khashoggi, was strangled to death immediately after entering the Consulate General of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul on October 2, 2018 for marriage formalities,' said a statement from the office of Istanbul chief prosecutor Irfan Fidan.

'The victim's body was dismembered and destroyed following his death by suffocation--again, in line with advance plans,' it added.

'Despite our well-intentioned efforts to reveal the truth, no concrete results have come out of those meetings.'
8072**1396
Follow us on Twitter @IrnaEnglish