It's not aid, US owes money to Pakistan in CSF: Qureshi

Islamabad, Sept 3, IRNA - Foreign Minister Makhdoom Shah Mehmood Qureshi today said they would raise their concerns and issues before US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who is scheduled to land in Islamabad on 5th September.

The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government on Sunday reacted cautiously to the US cancellation of $300 million in aid to Pakistan, insisting the money is not assistance but reimbursements for the country’s expenses in the fight against terrorism.

However, what was significant in the hurriedly-called news conference of Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi was that the government had decided not to react in a knee-jerk manner.

The guarded reaction came after consultations at the Foreign Office where other state institutions also gave their inputs on how to respond to the latest US move.

It was decided not to react strongly at this stage and instead wait for the visit of US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who is due in Islamabad on Wednesday.

**** Pentagon cancels $300 million aid to Pakistan

The US military said it has made a final decision to cancel $300 million in ‘aid’ to Pakistan that had been suspended over Islamabad’s perceived failure to take decisive action against militants, in a new blow to deteriorating ties.

The so-called Coalition Support Funds were part of a broader suspension in aid to Pakistan announced by President Donald Trump at the start of the year, when he accused Pakistan of rewarding past assistance with “nothing but lies & deceit.”

The Trump administration says Islamabad is granting safe haven to insurgents who are waging a 17-year-old war in neighboring Afghanistan, a charge Pakistan denies.
272**6125**1396

Follow us on Twitter @IrnaEnglish