Sep 2, 2018, 12:49 AM
News Code: 83019569
0 Persons
Saudi-led coalition admits massacre of Yemeni children

Tehran, Sept 2, IRNA - The Saudi-led military coalition responsibe for an airstrike in Yemen last month that killed 40 children has admitted that the attack was “unjustified”.

The findings by the Joint Incident Assessment Team (Jiat), an investigative entity set up by the coalition, follow mounting international pressure to do more to limit civilian casualties in the Yemen civil war, Independent reported.

The Riyadh operations center initially said the strike was a “legitimate military operation carried out in accordance with humanitarian law”.

A Jiat legal adviser Mansour Ahmed al-Mansour said the strikes had been based on intelligence indicating that the bus was carrying Houthi leaders, a legitimate military target.

He acknowledged that delays in executing the strike and receiving a no-strike order should be investigated.

“There was a clear delay in preparing the fighter jet at the appropriate time and place, thus losing [the opportunity] to target this bus as a military target in an open area in order to avoid such collateral damage,” Mr al-Mansour told reporters in the Saudi capital.

He added, “The team believes that the coalition forces should immediately review the application of their rules of engagement to ensure compliance.'

Mr. al-Mounsour recommended that the coalition hold those responsible for the error accountable and compensate victims.

Last week, a United Nations panel of human rights experts said that some coalition air strikes may constitute war crimes.
8072**1396
Follow us on Twitter @IrnaEnglish