Jan 14, 2018, 2:17 PM
News Code: 82795439
0 Persons
Iran confirms death of all sailors in East China coast

Tehran, Jan 14, IRNA – Iran's Ports and Maritime Organization confirmed the death of all 32 sailors, trapped in a burning tanker in East China coast, by sending a message of condolences to the families of the seamen as well as the Iranian nation.

An Iranian tanker carrying gas condensates collided with a Chinese freight ship in East China coast on Jan 6, and all the 32 members of its crew went missing. Three bodies were later found during a rescue operation, according to the Iranian officials.

Meanwhile, the spokesman for a special committee in charge of following up the case of the tanker had already said that the thick smoke and the size of the fire in the Iranian tanker halted rescue operations.

The 30 Iranian and the two Bangladeshi sailors, who were members of the crew, had unfortunately been killed due to toxic gas and the huge size of the fire which embraced the tanker since the outset of the tragic incident, Mohammad Rastad told the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) on Sunday morning.

Due to the vast size of the blaze, the bodies of the Sanchi tanker crew cannot be found in the future, Rastad had said.

He went on to say that the efforts to tame the fire in order to enter the tanker remained unsuccessful due to consecutive explosions which occurred after the blaze.

Iran's president appointed Minister of Cooperative, Labor and Social Welfare Ali Rabiei as the chairman of a committee to follow up the case of the blazing ship. Rabiei was dispatched to China to monitor the rescue operations closely.

1483**1771

Follow us on Twitter @IrnaEnglish