Russia voices concern over 'massive attack' on Iran nuclear agreements

Tehran, April 24, IRNA – Moscow is concerned about a 'massive attack' on Iran nuclear agreements reached in Lausanne and calls on its P5+1 partners as well as Tehran to prevent speculations on this issue, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Thursday.

'Russia is concerned over negative reaction by some countries on the outcome of talks between P5+1 and Iran in Lausanne and a 'massive attack' on [Lausanne] agreements,' Ryabkov, who is Russia's envoy at Iran nuclear talks, told RIA Novosti.

'We call on our P5+1 colleagues as well as on Iranian partners — to cherish the results achieved in Lausanne, to avoid giving reasons for speculations, for fuelling tensions and disputes around this issue [preparation of the comprehensive agreement],' Ryabkov said.

On April 2, Iran and P5+1 group of international negotiators, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Russia, China, France and Germany reached a breakthrough political framework agreement on Tehran's controversial nuclear program following marathon talks in the Swiss city of Lausanne.

Sergei Ryabkov also noted that the decision on setting up a consortium on the redesign of an Iranian nuclear reactor in Arak is likely to be postponed as the issue is not on the agenda of Iran nuclear talks in the near future.

'The issue of international participation in redesign of the Arak rector has not been discussed in detail…only political agreements have been reached so far,' Ryabkov said.

'I don't think this issue will be on agenda of next few rounds,' the diplomat claimed.

Another round of talks between Iran and P5+1 foreign ministers was held in Vienna on April 24, following two days of experts' meetings.

The deadline for signing a final comprehensive deal that would guarantee the peaceful nature of the Iranian nuclear program is set for July 1, 2015.

SM/1664