Iran’s protest letter delivered to Pakistan charge d’affires  in Tehran

Tehran, Oct 27, IRNA – Managing director of West Asia Office of Foreign Ministry presented Iran’s protest letter on Friday terrorist operation launched from Pakistan’s soil against Iranian border guards to Pakistan charge d’affires in Tehran Saturday.

Seventeen Iranian border guards were martyred on Friday at zero point of Iran-Pakistan international border by agents of a terrorist group in Saravan region and a number of other border guards were wounded, and then the terrorists fled back to somewhere inside Pakistan, from where they had entered Iran.

During the Saturday evening meeting the Pakistani government was seriously asked to act in accordance with the articles of the Security Cooperation Pact between the two countries and the Agreement of Sending Back of Culprits, and to deal resolutely with the leaders of the terrorists who have fled to Pakistan, so that they would be justly punished.

The charge d’affires of Pakistan in Tehran, too, for his part expressed deep regret over the martyrdom of the border guards of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

He also said that the matter would be reflected to the Pakistani government is shortest possible time so that the required measures would be made in Pakistan.

Seventeen Iranian border guards got killed and a number of others seriously wounded in clashes with 'armed bandits' on the south-eastern frontier with Pakistan on Friday.

The clashes took place on Friday night in a mountainous region outside the Iran border township of Saravan in the southeast Sistan-Baluchistan province, when the bandits launched a surprise attack against the Iranian border post.

A deputy governor of Saravan told the state television that six border guards, too, were captured by the attackers.

The media reports gave no more details on the identity of the armed group but security forces have fought drug traffickers before in the border region with Pakistan and Afghanistan.

'The attackers, who saw that conditions were unsafe for their actions, retreated to the country on the other side of the border (Pakistan) after the clash,' Rajab-Ali Sheikhzadeh, a provincial official, told ISNA.