Jan 23, 2014, 10:23 AM
News Code: 2626296
0 Persons
Rallies in Pakistan to protest pilgrims killing

Islamabad, Jan 23, IRNA – Shiite groups in Pakistan on Thursday continued their protest rallies in major cities against the killing of pilgrims in Balochistan.

Officials and doctors say that death toll from the Tuesday’s deadly attack on two pilgrims buses in Mastung area reached 26. Dozens more had been injured. Banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi group claimed responsibility.



A large number of people including women and children continued their protest and sit-in in Quetta in protest to killing of pilgrims and announced that they would not bury the bodies of pilgrims until their demands were met.



Speaking on the occasion, a spokesman of Shiite groups said that the bodies would be laid to rest after the demands were met.



There was a shutter-down strike in most parts of Quetta city on Wednesday to condemn the killings.



The strike was called by Hazara Democratic Party (HDP), Balochistan Shia Conference and Majlis-e-Wahdat-ul-Muslimeen (MWM).



Protesting families chanted slogans against law enforcment agencies for their failure to protect lives of innocent people. Some protestors were carrying placards which read “stop the genocide of Hazara community” and “targeted action is needed against terrorists.”



Addressing a news conference, leader of MWM member of the Balochistan assembly Mohammed Raza said the protest will not end until representatives of the federal government ensure us that a targeted operation will be conducted against terrorists.



Majlis-e-Wehdat-ul-Muslamin has staged demonstrations in several other cities including Karachi against the bomb blast incident in Mastung.



Addressing the participants of demonstrations speakers demanded arrest of terrorists involved in the incident.



**1422